Thursday, July 19, 2012

Extra Mile


In northern California, many of the Chevron gas stations are attached to a convenience store called Extra Mile. Over the past 18 months, Extra Mile and I have developed a serious love/hate relationship. You see, Extra Mile received its name as recognition for going the "Extra Mile" on my behalf by actually carrying Diet Mountain Dew in the fountain machine. Honestly I'm not sure how or why the name was bestowed but I've certainly made my share of U-turns, double-backs, triple lane changes, and occasional cut-offs to pay a quick visit to the Extra Mile and fill up a cup with some Diet Dew, aka the Dirty Yellow Poison. For years now, I've rationalized this ridiculous addiction by convincing myself that "it's all good, there are worse habits I could have" and "at least it's not regular Mt Dew". I mean, how could a store with such a benevolent name actually provide me with something so detrimental to my health? I've tried giving up the Diet Dew. Everyone tells me to drink water - "it tastes so good and is so refreshing!" Sure it is...so is air, but it doesn't do much for that little pleasure center somewhere in my noggin! Trust me, I've tried the switch to water. It's kind of like rooting for the Cardinals your entire life, then being told that they are no longer available and you have to root for the Cubs. I've tried flavored water, sports drinks, even iced tea (sorry Mom and Jeri!)...nothing does it for me like the Diet Dew, which leads me to today. I was on the way home from Fremont to Rocklin, driving along Interstate 80, and I decided to pull up my mental database of the nearest Extra Mile locations to score some Poison. As I pulled up to the station and parked the car, I looked up and realized that the Extra Mile sign was right in front of me. I thought of all the times I've been driving along through life, feeling a little weak or down, needing to fill up my cup, and I looked up and saw the Extra Mile right in front of me. Often it came in the form of a listening ear. Other times it appeared as a gift of time. Most often I've seen the Extra Mile in the effort of my wife, my parents, and my friends as they cheer for my successes, carry me through my failures, and support me loyally through it all. We often think of the Extra Mile as going above and beyond, doing a little bit more than is expected, and exceeding what is asked of us. In the end, it's really about just going and doing. One of my favorite General Conference talks in recent years is the one that was given by Elder Ronald Rasband in April of this year when he related the story of his young Grandson Paxton who was born with a rare chromosomal disorder. He spoke of the challenges Paxton and his parents have endured, the sleepless nights, the hospital visits, and the overwhelming medical bills. He also spoke of the tender mercies of the Lord that have accompanied his family through it all, and he offered a thought that to me, defines the Extra Mile.
Paxton’s family has learned they are surrounded by countless heavenly and earthly ministering angels. Some have quietly slipped in when needed and silently slipped out. Others have been at the door with food, doing the laundry, picking up the siblings, calling with encouragement, and especially praying for Paxton. Thus another special lesson learned: If you come upon a person who is drowning, would you ask if they need help—or would it be better to just jump in and save them from the deepening waters? The offer, while well meaning and often given, “Let me know if I can help” is really no help at all.
How many times have I said that?!?  "Let me know if I can help you with your move."  "Give me a call if you need some help with that."  The Extra Mile is always there, ready to fill up your cup and send you on your way.

1 comment:

  1. I loved that talk, too. I'm excited about your blog, your good writing, and your shared thoughts, and look forward to future posts!

    ReplyDelete